Thursday, October 16, 2008

Freedom At Last

Several weeks ago, I lost my new cell phone. What's ironic about this is that after having the same phone for years, I finally decided to upgrade to a newer version of my very simple Nokia. I kept my old phone for so many years because I never liked all the fancy new phone features with the flipping flaps, tiny keyboards and bazillion ring tones, but after researching the dangerous effects of cell phone usage, I decided to see what was out there.

Although I was able to find a phone with a much smaller amount of radiation emissions than most, I was still very aware that my constant cell phone usage could be harmful to my health and needed to be curtailed. I guess the "powers that be" thought so too, and decided to take my new phone right away from me.

After trying for a week to recover my lost prized possession, I finally gave up. However, during this time I began to realize a freedom that I had not experienced in years. Sadly enough, it was apparent that I had really become dependent on my phone. Admittedly, I even used to feel "lost" when I would actually leave the house without it.

Another ridiculous realization I had during these past few weeks, is that I used to think that I was so efficient in making all of my pressing phone calls while driving--because I simply could not find the time for them while I was at home. How absurd is that? Now I realize that I am much more focused while driving. Plus, I am enjoying quality time on the phone with family and friends from the comfort of my very own home.

Even though a major concern of not having my cell phone with me at all times was how my family would contact me if there was an emergency--we figured out the solution to that problem rather quickly. We reverted to the "old-fashioned" way of doing things. My son and I reviewed who to call and what to do while he is at home alone, and not to just rely on the cell phone during emergencies.

Well, it has been several weeks now since my phone and I parted ways, and the best part about not having it around (besides the health benefits) is that I feel so mysterious. As odd as this sounds, I am truly enjoying the fact that nobody really knows where I am--I am independent and free! And the best part is that now you can reach me when I am really available--at home, relaxed, and able to give you my full and undivided attention.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That's hilarious! I guess I'm just not a phone person at all. I often forget my phone at home for days and don't even realize it. I love the idea of being mysterious though. ;)